Medical Weight Loss Doctor in Burbank
Medical Weight Loss Doctor
A health care provider who specializes in treating obese or overweight patients is known as a bariatrician. Bariatric surgeons are specifically trained to handle weight-loss-related surgeries.
Why Do I need a Medical Weight Loss Doctor?
If you are overweight, it is important to seek the right course of treatment. Obesity can lead to serious health conditions including:
- Heart Disease
- Diabetes among other conditions
Your medical weight loss doctor will help you reduce blood pressure, improve blood sugar, boost your mood and significantly reduce the chances of diseases.
Some bariatric healthcare providers also offer primary health care which means you can work with your bariatrician to treat other health issues. The patient chooses whether to make the weight loss doctor their primary healthcare provider or add them as additional support to the services already given by their primary health provider.
What To Expect With Medical Weight Loss Doctors
Your medical weight loss doctor should be able to:
- Take a history of your weight loss journey including your exercise regime and diet.
- Take your BMI measurement. BMI is a measurement that uses a person's height and weight to determine a healthy weight range. A BMI above 30 is considered obese. Anywhere between 25 and 29.9 is overweight. Websites and apps can help you monitor your BMI however, your medical weight loss doctor needs to keep track of it throughout your treatment.
- Evaluate your risks of getting other diseases
- Formulate a weight loss plan including exercises, nutrition, goals, and tests.
Some of the tests that your medical weight loss doctor may need include
- Lipid and cholesterol levels
- Vitamin D levels among others
- Kidney function blood tests
- Liver blood tests
How To Find a Medical Weight Loss Doctor
Dr. Hakahmimi is a medical weight loss doctor who will walk with you through your weight loss journey and formulate long-lasting healthy habits. In cases where weight-related surgery is needed, he uses the following approaches
Gastric Bypass – This procedure helps you eat smaller meals by dividing a portion of your stomach.
Sleeve Gastrectomy – This procedure boosts the creation of hormones that make you fuller quickly hence reducing food portions.
Adjustable Gastric Band - Involves wrapping a band around the topmost portion of your stomach to achieve the same effect as Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy.
Biliopancreatic Diversion – This procedure takes out a part of the small intestine, decreasing the quantity of food you can absorb.
Diet and exercise can help reduce weight at home but not everybody is able to shed the pounds working on their own. A medical weight loss doctor comes in handy for people who struggle with weight loss. These doctors receive special training to deal with weight loss.